Hogwarts Regenerated

Hello and welcome to Hogwarts Regenerated. We have moved over to http://z13.invisionfree.com/HogwartsRegenerated/index.php? come join us!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Regenerated

Hello and welcome to Hogwarts Regenerated. We have moved over to http://z13.invisionfree.com/HogwartsRegenerated/index.php? come join us!!

Hogwarts Regenerated

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new generation of witches and wizards has come. Whose side are you on?

3 posters

Div 2.1 | Complete

Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Div 2.1 | Complete Empty Div 2.1 | Complete

Post by Sophia Chaos Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 am

Sophia wrote across the chalk board in large letters:

OMENS

Her second years shouldn't be surprised by the topic; they had been assigned a three-foot essay on the topic for their summer homework, after all. A minute frown formed on her kind face. They had better have done their summer homework. She'd hate to start the year off having to give anyone a poor grade.

"Och, what will be, will be, as they say," Sophia murmured to herself. She sat cross-legged atop her desk, waiting for her students to arrive.

A shudder ran along her spine as she sat there. That had been happening a lot, lately. Magus ruffled his feathers in response. "It's probably nothing," she told the raven. He didn't look convinced.

She turned her attention back to the doorway.

Last edited by Sophia Wyse on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Div 2.1 | Complete Empty Re: Div 2.1 | Complete

Post by Sel Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 am

Iris entered the class room and bowed to Professor Wyse. She was now an apprentice of hers. "Good day, Professor. When will I pass my homework?" She walked and found a seat in front of the professor and took it while arranging her things.
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 am

Sophia smiled kindly at the girl. "You may hand it to me now, if you'd like," she replied.

"I'll set up our first meeting for your apprenticeship later this week," the professor continued. "Once I get a feel for the flow of things this year."

The woman glanced over at her familiar as he crucked softly. "And Magus bids you greetings," she passed along.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 am

"Yes professor. Oh hi Magus! He's really adorable." Iris said cheerfully and handed her homework to Professor Wyse. "I'm ready to accept feedbacks so I can improve my essays professor. But I feel it's not that good. It's my first time to be encountering this topic and we kind of call it in a different term in the muggle world."

"Omens"
    by Iris Jane Frances, Second Year Slytherin

An 'omen' is also called 'portent' or 'presage'. It is a phenomenon that is believed to foretell the future, more often signifying the advent of change. The term was usually devoid of reference to the nature of change, hence being possibly either good or bad. It is used in foreboding sense, as with the word 'ominous'. This English word is derived from the Old Latin word 'osmen' and came into common usage in year fifteen-eighty. The origin of the Latin version has no specific time and date that makes it unknown. But it may be connected with the Latin word 'audire', meaning "to hear".

Omens may be considered good or bad depending on their interpretation. The same sign may also be interpreted indifferently by other people or other cultures. Many call them 'superstitions' like in the United States, Europe, China, Philippines, and other Asian countries. In my opinion, they made those superstitions maybe because of their encounters that are fortunate or unlucky at all. It can also be that they have been encountering them continuously that it may be considered as a coincidence or for them, - fate.

They believe in those things and depend on them to tell their future. Some countries are also influenced by the other countries. Examples of this are black cats indicating bad luck, knocking on wood so the bad opinion or curse that was said will not happen, and keeping Chinese idols like Buddhas or ornaments in their homes so they may bless the house, family, or business with good luck throughout the whole year.

Last edited by Iris Frances on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 am; edited 5 times in total
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 am

Sophia quickly read over the essay. She would read it more carefully when she graded it. She gave a nod of approval.

"Well done, Miss Frances," she said.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am

Iris was very well pleased by the commentary. She first thought that the essay was too short. But all was forgotten by one line by the professor. That made her more motivated. "Thank you Professor." She said with a smile and looked around only to find no other students. "Guess I'm early." She muttered to herself.
    Georgie Vane
    Georgie Vane
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Georgie Vane Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Georgie walked into class with the book they had been assigned in one hand, and her quill, ink and homework in the other. She knew that she should of just bought a bag too put all of her stuff in but it was too late now.
    "Hello Professor Wyse," Georgie said smiling, as she put her stuff on a desk.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Iris was relieved to see another student. She smiled and mouthed with a wave from her hand "Hi."

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 am

Nat sighed as she entered a classroom. She had just signed up for this class, so she didn't know if it had any homework. She saw only two other students in the class, one of whom look a tad familiar, but she chose to ignore her instincts and sat down on one of the many chairs.
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 am

"Hello, Miss Vane," Sophia greeted the girl as she entered the classroom. "Do your summer homework for me?"

She turned her attention to the next student as she arrive. "Ah, and Miss Finnigan. Right on time. It's very nice to have you join us, this year. The summer essay was over omens. Since you are just joining the class, I will give you until the end of next to complete it and turn it in.

"Now that we're all here, let us begin," Sophia said. "Who can tell me some of the different types of omens? You may look in your texts, if necessary."
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:41 am

Iris quickly raised her hand and said confidently, she gave an example she has not written but instead what she remembered. "A sudden breaking of a glass like a picture frame of a person indicating upfront that something dangerous might happen to that person in the image." That's what muggles believe in.
    Georgie Vane
    Georgie Vane
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Georgie Vane Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Georgie smiled and handed Professor Wyse two double sided sheets of paper. "I hope it isn't too much, I did go off on one when talking about the grim you see as my dad had seem one right before he--" she stopped suddenly. No one at the school knew anything about her dad. She blushed and sat down by herself.
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 am

Sophia rested a hand on Georgie's shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze. "That's quite alright, Miss Vane," she said gently. "There's no maximum length for the essays I assign - only a minimum." She gave the girl a reassuring smile.

"Correct, Miss Frances," Sophia continued. "Random events, such as breaking glass in a picture frame could be consider an omen. Five points to Slytherin. What other omens are there? Miss Vane? Miss Finnigan? Any guesses?"

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:47 pm

"Ehh... coincidences?" Nat asked, feeling unconfident whatsoever. "Like say, you had a terrible day and you meet someone... special on the same day."
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Sophia nodded. "Coincidence can be considered an omen. Five points, Miss Finnigan.

"Anything else, ladies?" The woman's eyes sparkled with a vague hint of mirth.
    Georgie Vane
    Georgie Vane
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Georgie Vane Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Georgie but her hand up slowly, "The grim?" she said quietly, but still loud enough so everyone could hear. She looked anxiously around the room as to not catch anyones eye.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 am

Nat shuddered when she heard a Gryffindor mention the grim. To any Wizarding family, the grim was like... a one-way ticket to death, so to speak. On the other hand, she was glad she got five points for her answer. I have so got to tell Anna! she thought, who was probably sleeping in another lesson.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 am

Iris thought what she still remembered. "Knocking on wood for the bad curse not to happen?"
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:41 am

Sophia gave Georgie a warm smile. "Yes, Miss Vane," she said softly. "The Grim would be an omen. Five points, lass."

She considered Iris' answer for a moment. "Knocking on wood is not really an omen, so much as means to possibly ward one off. It is a good guess, nonetheless. The reason being that nearly everything can be considered an omen. Letters or numbers, stray bits of conversation, weather, noises," she gestured toward her familiar, who was shuffling a bit restlessly on his perch, "the behavior of animals, feelings, surprising events - there's really no saying what may or may not be a sign or omen.

"Now, who can tell me what 'syncronicity' is?" Sophia questioned, writing the word on the board.
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Iris considered the right opinion of the professor and thought of an answer for the new question. "To occur or cause to occur at the same time?" She reflected on the root word but still not sure of her answer.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Nat put up her hand, "Things that happen... quite close to each other?"

Yet again, she was feeling utterly hopeless, but she was still glad her last guess was right.
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 am

"Both good answers, and both correct, but only part of what I am looking for," said Sophia. "Synchronicity, as it applies to Divination, is when two or more events are unrelated or unlikely to occur simultaneously by chance happen at the same and are observed in a manner that is meaningful to the observer.

"Can you think of any examples of something that would be considered synchronicity? You may make something up if you like."
    Sel
    Sel
    Fifth Year
    Fifth Year

Post by Sel Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 am

Iris thought of many possibilities that can be considered and came up with one example that was common to her in the muggle world. "Like you're looking for a parking space - let's say in the muggle world, and suddenly a car pulls out in front and you took that chance?"

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Char walked into the class and took a seat. They were in the middle of the lecture and she hoped the professor didn't kick her out. It was the first time she took the class and she didn't want to send the wrong message to the professor on the first day. She took out her parchment and quill and tried to her best to write notes quietly and quickly as the lecture continued.
    Sophia Chaos
    Sophia Chaos
    Head of Ravenclaw
    Head of Ravenclaw

Post by Sophia Chaos Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

"Welcome to class, Miss West," Sophia greeted warmly, but added sternly, "Now as you are just joining this class, I'll let your tardiness slide, this once, but be warned: I will take points if you're late for my class in the future.

"We are discussing omens and how nearly everything might be considered an omen or sign," the professor recapped. "At the moment, we are talking about synchronicity, which is when two or more unrelated events or those that are unlikely to occur at the same time do happen at the same time and are observed in a meaningful manner.

"Now, Miss Frances has suggested that an example of synchronicity might be when a muggle motorist looking for a parking spot comes across one near their destination just as it's being vacated." Sophia turned to Iris. "I'd say that is a good example, particular if the motorist is, perhaps, short of time or maybe while he is inside his destination, an accident occurs amid the vehicles parked further out.

"Any other examples?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:45 am